Search Engine Roundtable has a great article:
Tracking manual link building efforts – use a unique word while conducting manual link building and track progress through engines.
– Google local ranking tips – in order of importance
1. Registration with Google Local
2. Perceived closeness to center of city
3. Number of local reviews
4. “Local” link popularity
5. Local phone number
6. Participation in the online menu services – Zagat, menupix, menupages, allmenus
7. Quality of local reviews
8. city name inclusion in anchor text
9. Local non-Google directory listings. Gayot, Zagat, citysearch, lilaguide, superpages, Yelp
10. Keyword in the business name
11. Domain authority
12. Address inclusion on webpages
Sugar Rae’s SEO for small business guidelines are fantastic as well. You might also check out 24 places to list your small business.
Creative Fusion Media provides social media consulting services and ethical and affordable search engine optimization solutions to innovative companies and forward thinking non-profits. Nathan Ketsdever is the chief internet marketing and online pr strategist at Creative Fusion, which is located in Nashville, Tennessee.