SEO and Social Media for Independent Music Fan Websites
A friend of mine runs a message board from an independent music group and wants to know how he can increase his traffic and search engine rankings. Here are some of my intial ideas for a smart SEO tactics and strategies to optimize your music content for Google and your users:
Basics of Music SEO and Social Media
• Keyword report from Google keyword tool, Wordtracker questions tool, and SEO Book keyword tool
• Focus on longtail and fat belly opportunities
• Set up music based affiliates (Amazon Store and Ticketmaster if possible)
• Create a media buy. Spend a moderate amount on content development
Band Specific SEO and Music Social Media:
• Creative Commons licensed photography and videos with the band. Search the Creative Commons with this tool.
• Members of the band (bios, interesting news stories, or explanation of lyrics)
• Album lyrics and band tours can anchor your content development and social media strategy for your music messageboard.
Listening Strategy for Music SEO and Social Media
• Set up Google alerts (perhaps a Netvibes and/or filterbox for the band and related bands)
• Set up a Google feed
• Connect a Friend Feed account to your Google feed, message board, and blog
• Create a widget to host the friend feed on the blog and message boards
• Aggregate your best content, can help point users as well as Google in the right direction.
• Aggregate the best content on the web
• Create a community of interaction and engagement on the message boards
• Get a a free link of ILL can help your music marketing and seo
• Get reciprocal links from related web portals and blogs
• Create original artwork and badges (widgets)
• Linking from external platforms via guest posts or guest interviews on technology or music blogs can help increase your Google juice.
• Bolds and italics can help emphasize your point.
• Linking out to artist related news and webpages can help you rank as well (remember this can include all forms of content related to the band or artist).
• The three biggest concepts: internal site structure (ie linking to your own stuff in a themed way), keyword usage, and getting links from outside.
More to come…
Your favorite music search engine optimization and social media marketing tips?