Social Media: Your’re Not In Kansas Anymore
Social media is a bit like going to a foreign country or an exotic desintation. It helps to have a guide, so with that in mind, here is a short guide to social media and social marketing optimization. I personally like the Socratic method, and its a great way to explore important topics like the anthropology of life and communities online. So lets consider a couple key questions that hopefully can help frame your online journey into the wonderful world of social media:
What are searchers looking for?
If you don’t know what searchers are searching for, how can you effectively target them with any success?
• Keywords, which is why keyword research is an important first step in a social media optimization and SEO strategy. Here are some great keyword ideas from Aaron Wall at Wordtracker.
• Google keyword tool, google sets, SEO Book keyword tool, and Wordtrackers free keyword tool should all be sufficient.
• Most SEOs trust Wordtracker for keyword research. However, both Keyword discovery and Wordze offer solutions.
• Credibility and trust (social trust)
• Visually clean and easy to navigate. A relevant and tailored experience.
What are linkers looking for?
Understanding what linkers are looking for is critical to social marketing optimization.
• Visually clean and captivating helps.
• Posts that have some magazine-esque qualities
• Unique content
• Resources for their reader. In other words, resources, something engaging, or funny for their reader. The AIDA method (Attention, Interest, Desire, Action) comes in handy.
What are search engines looking for?
Ignore search engines at your own peril in your social marketing optimization strategy. How can you enhance your SMO with SEO?
• Here is what Google says about increasing search ranking in its search optimization guide. (pdf download)
• Heres a more comprehensive look at the Google algorithm by SEO experts
• Simple link building tips guide.